Bacon, Onion, Avocado & Gouda Breakfast Sandwich
This is a hearty breakfast that is a little high in fat, but it contains a lot of good things for your body. I needed something substantive for breakfast today after Zumba last night, and then I waited too long to eat breakfast till I was STARVING.
While Gouda cheese is relatively high in fat, this kind of cheese is healthier for you than other cheeses, and it melts so nicely. I love the creamy rich taste of it.
Eggs of course have lots of health benefits too, and avocados are rich in the “good kind” of fat.
And the bacon? Well everything’s better with bacon, isn’t it? I just used a bit of bacon to get that taste of bacony goodness, but not so much that it would totally ruin the health benefits of my sandwich …
Bacon, Onion, Avocado & Gouda Breakfast Sandwich on Jalapeno Cheddar Beer Bread
For each sandwich, you need:
- 1 egg, beaten and sprinkled with Red robin seasoning (or other seasoned salt or just plain salt if you prefer) & freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 slice of bacon
- A couple tablespoons of chopped onion
- 1 wedge of jalapeno cheddar beer bread (recipe here), sliced horizontally … or your bread of choice
- A couple thin slices of gouda cheese
- A few thin slices of avocado
- (I think I would have added a slice or two of tomato if I’d had any on hand)
- Cook the bacon in a pan over medium high heat until it is crispy. Set it on a clean towel (that you don’t mind getting bacon fat on), cover with the towel, and press to soak up all the excess fat, then crumble the bacon and add it to the beaten egg.
- Cut your wedge of bread and toast it lightly.
- Pour the bacon fat out of the pan and wipe out any excess fat. Add the onion and sautee for a minute or so on medium high heat until it is softened.
- Lower the heat to medium low and pour the egg/bacon mixture over the onion. When the egg starts to cook and set up a bit, shape it into roughly the shape of your wedge of bread with your spatula.
- Arrange the gouda cheese slices over the egg, lower the heat to low, cover the pan and cook until the egg is cooked and the cheese is melted.
- Carefully lift the egg out of the pan with your spatula and onto the bottom of the bread. Top with avocado (and tomato) and the top of the bread and enjoy!