Crunchy Beef, Bean and Egg Breakfast Tacos
This is no ordinary taco … Do you see what’s inside there? I tried to get up really close and personal, but I know it’s still a little hard to tell … okay, yeah, I know the name of this post kinda gave it away … there are eggs in that taco! Oh I put taco meat in there, too, and refried beans, and cheese … ooh can’t forget the cheese. Yes, salsa too, and peppers and onions. And even though it’s for breakfast, I added the lettuce and cilantro. I would’ve added tomatoes too if I had had some readily available, but then again, there are tomatoes in the salsa.
Crunchy Beef, Bean, & Egg Breakfast Tacos
- Taco shells
- 1 egg (or more depending on how many tacos you want to make … 1 egg makes about 2 tacos), beaten, sprinkled with Red Robin Seasoning (or just salt & pepper)
- Taco meat (I use a seasoning mix to make my taco meat … but I don’t actually use beef, I use ground venison. It’s leaner and tastier and you don’t have to wonder whether it was free range or grass fed …)
- Refried beans (canned or make your own, whatever … most of the time I try to make my own, but sometimes I use the canned kind)
- Sharp cheddar and/or other shredded Mexican cheese
- Chopped onion & bell pepper (or use a hotter pepper like jalapeno if you prefer!)
- Your favorite salsa
- Chopped lettuce and cilantro and tomato (if desired)
- Heat the taco shells in the oven till they’re crispy. Heat the refried beans in a pan or in the microwave.
- Add a couple tablespoons of taco meat per egg to the beaten egg. Heat a sautee pan over medium heat and add the onions and peppers and sautee briefly to soften the onions a bit.
- Pour the egg and meat mixture over the onions and peppers and then top with shredded cheese. Lower the heat to medium low and scooch the egg mixture around in the pan, sort of scrambling it a bit, but leaving the cheese on top. Cook until the cheese is melted and the egg is done.
- For each taco, spread one side of the crisp taco shell with refried beans, then add the egg mixture. Top with salsa and lettuce.