Sunshine Surprise Muffins
These little lovelies are like sunshine in a muffin! With a surprise creamy filling.
They are from my friend Mia … everything she makes is tempting … I would love to go live with that lady! She is so amazing. Ally and I are fighting over who gets Mia’s spare room.
When Mia posted these Orange Marmalade Cream Cheese Muffins, I knew I had to make them. Only problem is that I have no oranges, or orange juice, or orange marmalade for that matter. BUT I have kumquats, and some very thick kumquat syrup that’s very much like marmalade and some orange pineapple juice and orange liqueur. I think this’ll work …
Sunshine Suprise Muffins (a.k.a., Kumquat Marmalade Muffins with Cream Cheese filling)
Slightly Adapted from Mia’s Domain
- 1 large kumquat, chopped fine, seeds removed (or 2 tablespoons orange zest)
- 1/3 cup pineapple orange juice (or orange juice)
- 1/3 cup orange liqueur (or orange juice)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons kumquat or orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 1-inch cubes of light cream cheese, cold (mine were more like blobs and I’m not sure they were 1-inch)
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade (for glaze)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large bowl, whisk all the wet ingredients together till they’re well mixed.
- Add the dry ingredients and fold to combine, just until moistened. Be careful not to over-mix the batter.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners or spray with cooking spray. Fill muffin cups 1/4 full, plop the cream cheese cube into the center, then top the cream cheese with additional batter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until muffins are baked and golden in color. Remove from oven and glaze with orange marmalade.