Ham, Avocado, & Blue Cheese Salad
with Toasted Pinons and Avocado Ranch Dressing
Do you still have ham left over from Easter dinner? I do … a LOT of it. Dad gave me more than I really thought I could handle. And I talked him into giving me one of the smaller ham bones. So soon there will be soup!
But not today. Today is salad day. I love a good salad. And what better way to use up leftover ham than to toss it in a salad, right? … Okay, there are tons of other great ways to use ham, but this is one of the best options, in my humble opinion.
Ham, Avocado & Blue Cheese Salad
on Mixed Greens with Toasted Pinons and Avocado Ranch Dressing
- Mixed organic greens
- Cooked ham, sliced or diced or just torn into chunks
- Red onion, sliced
- Avocado slices
- Pine nuts (pinons), toasted
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Avocado ranch salad dressing (recipe here)
- Make the salad dressing. Go here for the recipe.
- Make a nice big bed of greens on your salad plate or bowl.
- Toast the pine nuts in a 300 degree oven for about 5 minutes (watch them closely!) or until they just start to turn brown. Just be careful to watch them carefully so they won’t burn. If you have a toaster oven that toasts nicely without burning things (unlike mine), you can put the nuts on a toaster oven pan in your toaster oven and set it on toast (medium setting) and they will be perfectly brown. Or you can toast them in a skillet pan over medium heat.
- Sprinkle the ham, red onion, avocado, pinons and blue cheese crumbles over your beautiful bed of greens.
- Drizzle with avocado ranch dressing. If you happen to have a wild violet or a viola, invite it to sit on top of the salad to make a pretty garnish. Then chow down and feel how much your body (and your taste buds) love you.