Baked Eggs in Asparagus Sweet Onion Nests
with Gorgonzola & Havarti cheeses and fresh Thyme
I was hungering for a savory breakfast with eggs and vegies and cheese yesterday, so I thought to try out some asparagus with my egg. It turned out so lovely. What’s more comforting in the morning than a baked egg?
Baked Egg in Asparagus Sweet Onion Nests
The beauty of this dish is you can make breakfast for 1 or 10. For each serving you’ll need:
- 5 – 7 large spears of fresh asparagus
- 1/4 of a sweet onion (I used Dolce Vita onion), sliced thin
- 1 egg
- Red Robin Seasoning (or Red Magic Seasoning if you’re watching your sodium … or your favorite seasoned salt) & freshly ground pepper
- 2 – 3 Tablespoons shredded Havarti cheese
- 1/2 Tablespoon or so of Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- The leaves from a couple twigs of fresh thyme
Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and lay the asparagus and onion on the sheet. Spray with cooking spray, sprinkle with seasoning and bake at 400 for about 5 minutes or until the onion is tender and the asparagus is crisp tender.
Chop the asparagus and onion roughly. Spray oven-safe bowl(s) with cooking spray, then put the asparagus/onion mixture into the bowl, pressing them up against the sides of the bowl to make a well in the center for the egg.
Crack an egg into each bowl, sprinkle with seasoning and freshly ground pepper, cheeses and thyme.
Bake at 350 for about 10 – 15 minutes or until the white is set. If you want the yolk cooked through, cook it a bit longer (about 20 minutes). Serve immediately sprinkled with fresh thyme, and garnish with a sprig of fresh oregano if you have it. I made some little mini-garlic toasts to go alongside too.