4th of July Fruit Kebabs with Dipping Sauces
After the rainbow fruit kebabs we made for my daughter’s birthday, my daughter and I thought it would be fun to do a 4th of July version with red, white and blue. We were having trouble figuring out what to use for the white, though. Are there white fruits? I suppose you could use apples or bananas … at the time, we couldn’t think of any … so we ended up going with angel food cake for the white … you could also use marshmallows.
But then if you have cake, you want a dipping sauce, right? Something wonderful to dip it in or to drizzle over it to make it more dessert-like.
Three options occurred to me:
- Whipped cream: so you have a berry shortcake on a stick
- Strawberry (or blueberry) yogurt: a healthier option for dipping. You could even mix your own using plain yogurt and crushed strawberries and honey
- Honey Ginger Lime Yogurt Sauce: oh yeah! the take-it-over-the-top, make-it-flippin-amazing option (this was my favorite … can you tell? The way the sauce soaks into the cake and contrasts with the fruit is just oh so wonderful.)
I am guessing you probably don’t need a recipe for #1 and #2, so I’ll just give you the recipe for #3. These 4th of July kebabs are a great project to do with kids … it’s a good pattern recognition exercise for little ones.
Red, White & Blue Fruit Kebabs with Honey Ginger Lime Yogurt Sauce
The sauce is, incidentally, the very same dressing I used on my Red, White & Blueberry Salad.
- Angel Food Cake, cut into squares
- Strawberries, washed and cut in half
- Wooden skewer sticks
for the dipping sauce:
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 4 teaspoons of honey
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- Juice of 1/2 lime
In a small bowl, whisk all of the sauce ingredients together until they are well mixed. Keep any leftover sauce in a covered container in the fridge.
Skewer the fruit and cake on the wooden skewers to make a red, white and blue pattern. My daughter says the way to do it is to start with blueberries, then cake, then a strawberry so that you end up with a strawberry on top.
Serve with dipping sauces of your choice.